Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sesame Beef and Broccoli

I tried this recipe about a month ago and it was fantastic. I am going to make it again this week and will have a picture then, I promise.

I just LOVE sesame oil- it has such a unique and yummy flavor- so (as I will say several more times I am sure) I highly reccomend including this ingredient. EVEN if it means you will have to wait to try it unti you've been to the store!

Really though, I just love almost any recipe with sesame seeds. Also, I love broccoli. Also, rice. Not so much beef...but even I can say that in this particular recipe the beef is exceptional.

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless beef top round steak
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained well
1 medium onion
1/2 cup water, mix with 1 beef bouillon cube
3 tablespoons teriyaki baste and glaze (Kikkomans works well)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil — if desired (I TOTALLY reccomend this ingredient!!)
2/3 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups frozen broccoli florets or fresh broccoli

Trim fat off beef, and cut into bite-size pieces, and throw into crock pot. Cut onion into wedges and add to pot. Drain mushrooms well and add along with beef broth, teriyaki baste and glaze, sesame seeds and sesame oil (again, I will emphasize...sesame oil is FANTASTIC in this recipe!); mix well. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours. About 35 minutes before serving, on stovetop cook rice as directed on package. Also, combine 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch; blend well. Stir cornstarch mixture and broccoli into beef mixture. Cover; cook on low setting for an additional 30 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Serve over rice.

This recipe serves 4 (unless your hubby eats like mine, then it serves 3).
Each serving is 7 points (assuming your hubby ate 2 servings. He then gets 14 points.)

3 comments:

  1. Mmm-mmm, that sounds really good! I'm going to have to try it!!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggested additions (if I may) (but really it's Betty Crocker's red & white cookbook via me, the recipe called Working Woman's Chinese Beef): bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and baby corn from cans, and fresh snow peas (maybe not for the whole time? Thrown in fresh at the end?) If you want to stretch it. Or like veggies. :) Sorry to meddle.

    ReplyDelete