Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bar-B-Q Meatballs (over rice)

I promise you will get compliments on these meatballs every single time. It makes a lot (hence the 3lbs of meat!) but I love to make the meatballs (minus the sauce) and freeze half for a later date. (I'm all about only cooking half the time!!!) If you want to turn them to appetizers you can just make them smaller..and they are GREAT even without rice.

Ingredients:
3lbs ground hamburger
2 c quick cooking oats
2 eggs
1 (13oz) can evaporated milk
1 c chopped onion (or 2-3 t onion powder)
1/2 t black pepper
2 t salt
2 t chili powder
1/2 t garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350*. Mix all ingredients well. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls. (The Pampered Chef Medium Scoop is THE BEST for this job!) Place in large lightly greased pan (or 2 9x13)and bake for 20-30 minutes-until they are no longer pink in the middle. At this point you can freeze half, or choose to make it all.

BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
2 c tomato ketchup
1 c brown sugar
2 t liquid smoke
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 c chopped onion (1 teaspoon onion powder)

Place balls in crockpot and pour sauce over them (make sure to cover them all evenly!) Heat until warm. If you don't want to use a crock pot I have heated the sauce in the micowave (careful with the ketchup so it doesn't burn!) and poured over the meatballs while they are still hot! In that case you would want to start your rice before making the sauce so it will be done when the meatballs are ready.

*For those of you who don't like onion (You know who you are...) I think the onion really adds to the recipe. I highly reccomend subsituting some onion powder in it's place. I promise you won't hate it...I have snuck this past many an onion-hater this way! You onion loves can laugh...but you don't know what else I've snuck past you! (Like wild game, veggies, etc...) I put the amounts next to the onion in the recipe for all you weirdos (uh..I mean...ahh..nevermind.)

I'll add a picture next time I make them!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm sounds good! We LOVE meatballs & rice over here! :D We do sweet & sour though & Brent would NOT take kindly to change in that area lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire these are the ones I had at the Women's Asian night we did last year. :)

    ReplyDelete