Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gramma's Lasagna

Ingredients:
3/4 lb hamburger
3/4 lb mild italian sausage
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves minced OR 3/8 t garlic powder
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 cup salsa (medium is what I use)
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
2 t sugar
1 t chili powder
1 t fennel seed (I don't actually put this in, most of the time)
1 t dried oregono
1 t dried basil
12ish lasagna noodles
1 (16oz) carton cottage cheese
4 cups shredded mozerella (I actually do cheddar and mozerella together)
3/4 parmesan cheese

In a large kettle or dutch oven, brown beef, sausage, onion and garlic. Cook until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain excess grease. (I buy really lean meat and don't end up draining it, but do drain if there is a lot of grease!) Stir in the next 9 ingredients (through basil). Cook lasagna noodles according to pkg directions, drain, and rinse in cold water. In a greased 9x13 pan (the taller the better, this is really a deep lasagna!) layer 1/3 of the noodles, 1/3 of the meat sauce, 1/2 of the cottage cheese, 1/3 of the mozarella cheese, and 1/3 of the parmesan. Repeat. Top with remaining 1/3 noodles, meat sauce, mozarella and parmesan. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes; uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer. Let stand 20 minutes before cutting.

This recipe freezes really well. Just spray some tin foil with cooking spray and wrap it tightly around the pan. If you are using a plastic lid I reccomend spraying it or using seran wrap first to help it seal. Freeze for up to 2 months. I usually do 2 of these when I'm going to all the work. Then I have a meal in the freezer for some lazy day, or for when I have company coming over!

No comments:

Post a Comment