Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cream Cheese and Chocolate Coffee Cake**

My mom and I made a version of this coffee cake for breakfast the other morning. Let me just say it helped me fall of my weight watchers diet "wagon" for the day. (I prefer to think I stepped off...Luke says I like to be in control...) So, before reading further please note that this recipe will hurl you in the opposite direction than diet...but it was so worth it. The problem is, she sneakily sent it home with me...(thanks for the HELP mom.) I don't have a picture yet (I don't dare make it again) but will try soon. I am planning to re-vamp the recipe and see if I can keep the taste and add some health. For now, enjoy it in it's most sinful state.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup 2% milk
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and 1-1/4 cups of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. (I actually used a 6X8 2.2 qt pyrex pan) Combine the pecans, cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Cool completely before cutting.
Makes: 12 servings.
The fact you don't want to know until I revamp the recipe: 11 points per serving. (hoping to take it down to 7 and preserve the taste!)

No comments:

Post a Comment