Thursday, July 1, 2010

Oven "fried" Zucchini sticks


Tonight is the first time trying this recipe, and I'm EXCITED. I've been wanting to for about a month now...I know...what's taken me so long! I am doing just half of the recipe for tonight since we won't be home to eat leftovers this weekend.

Ingredients:
- 2 medium sized zucchinis
- 1/2 cup regular Fiber One Cereal
- 1/2 cup egg whites or egg substitute mix
- 1 tbsp granulated onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black ground pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice each zucchini lengthwise, and then cut each half lengthwise again. Now, cut each strip in half. This should make a total of 16 sticks. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside. In a food processor or blender, process the Fiber One Cereal until it becomes a breadcrumb like consistently. Combine the cereal mix into a small bowl with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. In another small bowl, pour in the egg whites or egg substitute. To bread your sticks, dip each zucchini stick into egg whites and shake off excess. Then dip into cereal mixture and coat all sides of strips evenly. Continue until all zucchini strips are breaded. Spray a baking sheet with not fat cooking spray and place all the breaded zucchini sticks onto the baking sheet. Pop into the oven and cook until sticks start to brown – about 15 minutes. Serve with 2 tbsp marinara sauce for a yummy kick!

Serving size is 8 sticks.
(1 point if you're counting!)

*NOTE* When I try this recipe again, I'm going to try 1/4 c fiber one, 1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs, and 1 Tablespoon parmesan cheese. I think it will be amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodie I just found your blog! How fun!! I've done a similar recipe to this but with part-skim string cheese (hungry-girl recipe)! Soooo good and I couldn't believe how low calories! Oh and I went with bread crumbs instead of the fiber 1..you'll have to tell how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, I'm going to try cheese sometime :) hmmm. Glad you found it :D I look at your posts on fb sometimes and wish you would post recipes :D

    ReplyDelete