Friday, July 9, 2010

Holy Molasses!


Today as I was baking the Focaccia bread for Kaden's birthday party sub-sandwhiches I realized (in the middle of it, of course!) that I was out of molasses. I felt silly googling "molasses substitutes" but it had to be done. I assumed molasses was pretty unique and I would find nothing but despairingly bad news. Also, I was just sure my computer was going to finally have "had enough" and just tell me I was a dork and power off. Little did I know, there are PLENTY of ways to subsitute for molasses, and I am far from the first to need to do so! Yay for dorky me! So I will share my findings. To subsitute one cup of molasses you can use:

1 cup dark corn syrup, or
1 cup honey, or
3/4 c packed brown sugar, OR
1 cup pure maple syrup

Crisis averted. So there you go! Next time you find yourself out of molasses you have hope! (Because, let's face it...does anyone actually put molasses on the shopping list before crisis mode has hit?)

Yes, molasses is on my list now. Also, I am out of honey...just glad I had enough to substitute! Hopefully soon I will post the recipe for this amazing (and crisis-causing) Focaccia bread. For now, I must go cuddle with my waked-up son.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! And you can sub molasses + white sugar for brown sugar. Can't remember the ratio though :)

    ReplyDelete