Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Marshmallow Fondant

I got this recipe off allrecipes.com (just search marshmallow fondant).. but I changed it a little. 1 bag mini marshmallows 1/4 c water 1 t vanilla 2lbs powdered sugar I also don't follow the directions they have very well..so here's what I do! Before mixing fondant prepare a rolling pin and pastry mat by smothering them in crisco (or butter if you want "healthier"..but at this point, i'm not sure "healthier matters!!!) Pour desired amount of marshmallows in big microwave safe bowl. (if you use 1/4 bag, then use 1/4 the recipe above, etc...) It is easiest to do smaller portions and color them as you melt the marshmallows. For a 9x13 cake you will need about half..maybe a little less. Ok, so microwave the marshmallows until fluffy and melty... about 20 seconds...maybe 30? Then add water (again, adjust recipe to how many marshmallows you chose to do) and vanilla and desired food coloring. Mix, and add some of the sugar. Add food coloring til desired color is reached (keeping in mind that it will fade some as you add more sugar.) Mix with hand mixer until it's too stiff, then dump onto a pastry mat and finish mixing by hand. I suggest smothering your hands in crisco as well. it just makes the fondant a little shinier, and keeps you from being a sticky mess. I just mix it til it is a fun play-doh consistancy... I never use an EXACT amount of sugar. And I always, always always buy extra sugar. Make sure to clean the pastry mat thoroughly between colors. Let the fondant set for at least 10 minutes before trying to roll out. The allrecipes one says overnight, in the fridge. I don't do that... but i'm not a professional, so i can do it the easy way! The easiest way i have found to transfer fondant rolled out large (like for a whole cake) is to use my pastry mat-which is silicone and very flexible) and get it on the cake before peeling my mat off. that's me tho..and like I said, I'm definitely not professional, and never plan to be.

1 comment:

  1. You do AWESOME!!! Thanks for teaching me....I may be MAYBE able to do this alone some day! I have a request already to do the minions for a friend's kid in September:):) They really were a hit!!!

    ReplyDelete